Thursday, 28 March 2013

Getting my life back after M.E.


So, ME/chronic fatigue/post viral fatigue syndrome.  The condition that threatened to ruin my life and in fact in many ways did actually ruin my life for almost 5 years.

I was so ambitious, reasonably intelligent, academic and had great plans for my life - career, husband, family and a lovely smallholding with my own horses, sheep, geese, dogs and ducks.  I had aimed to start off with my career but life intervened and I found myself at the age of 18 married to Steve and with a lovely son called Nathan.  By 21 I had my second son called Alex and at this time I decided I should really revive my career ideas.

6 years later I completed my law degree with the Open University and after applying to law firms all over the country was offered a training contract in Burton upon Trent with a firm called Advance Legal.  Within 3 weeks of getting the job I had moved myself and my family to the Midlands and we were living in a village called Barton under Needwood.  I worked as a legal clerk initially and then was to finish work for one year while I completed the Legal Practice Course full time.  I would then return as a trainee solicitor and my career would be on track...

Fast forward 6 months and I was ill with tonsillitis  then an ear infection, then tonsillitis  then I was told I had a virus.  I dragged myself to college for 6 months but was getting more and more ill until finally I realised that to continue would make me desperately ill so I left.  Eventually was diagnosed with ME and told by doctors there was nothing they could do to help me and 'self-help' was all that was available.

Spent 2 years house-bound, feeling like I constantly had the flu, unable to look after my children, my home and barely myself.

Next 3 years were more bearable as I managed to have some kind of social life and life with my family but still unable to work.

Until some-one recommended I did the 'Lightening Process' which some ME sufferers had experienced miraculous recovery with and I thought to myself - if it can work for them, it can work for me and luckily for me it did.  Work that is.  The lightening process restored me to full health, the only decision then was what to do with my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment