Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Looking for a job - hoping for something better

I have just sent off an application to work for our local hospice.  They are such an amazing place, I would love to work there.  My father-in-law was there for the last week of his life and they were wonderful to him and to us.  I doubt that I will even get an interview though as I have applied there before.  My problem is that all my previous experience and qualifications are law based so employers write me off.

The thing is I desperately want a job where I feel I am helping people and making a difference in their lives.  Many jobs in the legal sector are just commercial, about getting money.  Clearly every business needs to be profitable but I don't want my work to be at the expense of other people.

My last job was spent suing people who owed my company money.  I was badly paid, the people we were suing were generally massively in debt and the directors of the company were raking it in, driving porsches and going abroad on holiday every 6 weeks.  It felt so wrong I had to leave.  I was speaking to people every day whose lives were falling apart and I was their worst nightmare.  My name was a swearword to them.

I so want a job where I am helping people but I am torn.  Can I get this in the legal sector or do I need to look elsewhere? If I look elsewhere, will any-one employ me?

No comments:

Post a Comment