Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Satisfying work - or the lack of

When I was a child I was never really sure of what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I thought about being a surgeon or working with horses and a hundred other things.  I always felt jealous of people who simply knew what job they wanted, they trained for it and they became it.  Like my mum.  As a child she wanted to be a teacher, when she grew up she still wanted to be a teacher and when the time came she trained and became and loved being a teacher.

I, however, have generally gone with whatever seemed good at the time.  I now find myself with a law degree and a post graduate diploma in legal practice with work experience in supermarkets, nursing homes, hotels, call centres and several law firms.

I am also currently out of work.

I have found it nearly impossible to find work that I enjoy.  I enjoyed my work in the law firm in the Midlands but have never been able to replicate that.  I guess moving to Devon largely put paid to my legal career!

I also have a sense that I would like to do something different with my life, something that helps make a difference in other people's lives.  I want my life and my work to count for something.  I don't know if I can do that with my law qualifications and experience or if I need to try and think outside the box.

Have any of you found a job you love or are you stuck in a job that you wish you could get out of?

No comments:

Post a Comment